As you gain experience in using the membrane filter tests, more ways to use them become evident - and your entire steam cycle benefits. Find out why it is important to identify problem areas in your condensate streams
, and the method of taking these samples
Some examples as to how running these membrane filter tests can keep your system running more efficiently are:
- The effectiveness of condensate or boiler treatment changes can be readily evaluated.
- The effectiveness of current treatment practices can be confirmed.
- During machine start-ups (particularly in papermills) the test can indicate when condensate is too iron-laden to be used as feedwater and should be dumped.
- You will know when it is safe to begin returning previously unsuitable condensate.
- Process or water leaks into the condensate that contribute to corrosion can often be identified early. If filming amines are being instituted for the first time, iron levels can be used to determine if the dosage needs to be reduced so that iron is not returned too rapidly
Although the membrane filter tests can also be used on other water streams such as feedwater, etc., water such as cooling water, surface waters, or even demineralized water can contain enough organic materials to plug the filters so that an insufficient amount of water gets through, or they can add color so that iron measurements become meaningless.