The deadline for two of the rules under FSMA is coming up at the end of this summer. The FDA is required to publish final versions of its proposed rules for:
- "Current Good Manufacturing Practice and Hazard Analysis and Risk-Based Preventive Controls for Human Food"
- "Current Good Manufacturing Practice and Hazard Analysis and Risk-Based Preventive Controls for Food for Animals"
by August 30, 2015.
The proposed rules for human and animal food establish new requirements for facilities that manufacture, process, pack or store food for human or animal consumption. For example, food facilities will need to analyze potential hazards for each type of food at the facility and establish controls to prevent or significantly minimize the potential for occurrence of those hazards.
Once the final rules are published, food facilities will have 1 to 3 years to comply, depending upon the size of the business:
- very small businesses - 3 years from the publication date
- small businesses - 2 years from the publication date
- other businesses - 1 year from the publication date